Skip to highlights
- [03:23] Introducing Dr Josh Corn
- [04:59] Dr Josh Corn’s training and research background
- [06:10] What is a naturopath? How does naturopathy fit into the wider world of medicine and healthcare
- [08:10] How and why natural medicine treats the ‘whole patient’
- [09:20] Why the Wikipedia description of naturopathy is fake news
- [14:50] Why sometimes a naturopathic doctor will prescribe big pharma medications
- [16:30] The intersection between naturopathy, ancient medicine, Ayurveda, Chinese medicine
- [18:40] Dealing with critics and skeptics
- [20:28] The main distinction between natural sleep supplements and herbs and pharmaceutical meds/ sleeping pills
- [25:44] Diagnosing sleep disorders and working alongside sleep specialists
- [27:30] How to choose over the counter sleep supplements, herbs
- [29:44] Social media, advertising, regulation and the problems in choosing and buying supplements
- [32:26] Melatonin for sleep, issues with dosages
- [34:14] Medicinal cannabis for sleep
- [37:30] Valerian root for sleep
- [39:43] Passion flower for sleep
- [40:43] Ashwaganda for sleep
- [43:07] Chamomile for sleep
- [44:04] Hops for sleep
- [46:33] Kava for sleep
- [50:10] Magnesium for sleep
- [52:33]Phosphatidyl serine for sleep
- [54:44] 5-HTP for sleep
- [56:08] General guidelines for choosing herbs and supplements for sleep
Dr Josh Corn is a licensed naturopathic doctor and in this episode he tells us about the types of herbs and supplements he uses to treat patients he sees with sleep issues.
Dr Corn works as a primary care provider in the state of Oregon and graduated from National University of Natural Medicine, the oldest accredited naturopathic medical university in North America and a leader in natural medicine education and evidence-based research.
As well as discussing some of the most common natural, plant based sleep remedies, including valerian, passionflower, ashwagandha, chamomile, hops, we talk about the wider perceptions of naturopathy, the philosophy of treating the patient’s wellbeing as a whole, and the differences between traditional medical care providers and naturopathy.
This Episode’s Guest
Dr Josh Corn is a licensed naturopathic doctor, natural medicine researcher and public speaker from Portland Oregon. Dr Corn graduated graduated from the National College of Natural Medicine with a Master of Science in Integrative Medicine Research. He uses botanical medicine, nutrition, pharmaceuticals, and lifestyle medicine to help patients achieve their health goals.
American Association of Naturopathic Physicians: https://www.naturopathic.org/
More about natural sleep remedies: https://sleepjunkies.com/natural-remedies/
Transcript coming soon