One of the most common questions I get asked is how I can stay so thin and healthy. Kathy and I answered this question in a previous podcast (How I Stay Thin, Happy and Healthy), but I wanted to go into more detail about the who, what, when, where, how and why we eat as it relates to our health. I’m not a nutritionist, but questions about food and what I eat is so common that I though it was important to address this important issue, from a sleep and breathing perspective.
Summary of How I Stay Thin, Happy and Healthy Part 1
- Control our allergies
- Eliminate toxins
- Eat organic
- Breast feed
- Cook at home
- Elimination diet
- Reprioritize habits and lifestyles
- Nutritional supplements
- More sun exposure
- Be healthy before you conceive
- Not every diet regimen is appropriate for you. Must customize what you eat.
- 5 Best Korean Food Blogs for Beginners
What to Eat
- Eat organic, non-packaged foods, and avoid gluten
- Eat Dirt: Why Leaky Gut May Be the Root Cause of Your Health Problems and 5 Surprising Steps to Cure It, by Dr. Josh Axe
- Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health, by Dr. William Davis.
- Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar–Your Brain’s Silent Killers, by Dr. David Perlmutter
- Keto and Paleo diet
When to Eat
- Don’t eat or snack (or alcohol) within 3-4 hours of bedtime.
- Sleep Interrupted: A physician reveals the #1 reason why so many of us are sick and tired, by Dr. Steven Y. Park
- Glamor article: You Can Do This! The Sleep Diet Is Here
Where to Eat
How to Cook
- Mealboard. Planning weekly menus
- Korean side dishes
- Why eating everything on your plate is bad
- Spices in your food
Why to Eat Healthy
- Most important
- Eat organic
- Little to food packaging
- Use ingredients as close to the source as possible
- Supplements (Vitamin D, omega-3, magnesium, probiotics, etc.)
- Better breathing and sleep hygiene
- Poor sleep causes poor digestion
- Choose one item on this list and layer on other areas once you succeed
The post How I Stay Thin, Happy and Healthy Part 2 [Podcast 59] appeared first on Doctor Steven Y. Park, MD | New York, NY | Integrative Solutions for Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome, and Snoring.